3 weeks back, Mama decided to say her 'syahadah', everyone of us in the family was so happy for her.
So we decided to bring her to JAWI, we left at about 10.30am from home. By the time we were there it was already 11am. So as usual the procedure is to write your name in the guest book, photocopy of your ic, and two passport size photo for filing purposes and not forgetting two muslim witnesses above the age of 18 years old.
We all followed mama into the room, she had to fill up some forms and all. Next the Ustaz explained what Islam is all about, the 5 pillars of Islam which is:-
1. Recite the Syahadah (Ashadu-ala ila ha ilallah, Wa ash-hadu-ana-muhammadar-rasullulah) - I bear witness that there is no God but Allah, and Prophet Muhammad is his Messenger.
2. Solat - basically praying 5 times a day.
3. Fasting during the whole month of Ramadhan
4. Zakat - Fitrah & pendapatan. Fitrah is usually paid during the month of Ramadhan, and it's according to the state government. For e.g. this year's zakat Fitrah rate was RM7.
5. Haj (Pilgrimage) - This is only when you have the means to go. If you don't it's not compulsory.
Once everything was explained, Mama said her syahadah and the Ustaz recited a prayer. We were all so glad and happy for Mama. Next they had to take her picture to prepare her Muslim card (which is similar to IC, but more of a temporary card before you change your ic.) Than they gave her a gift, which basically consist of Sejadah (the prayer mat), Telekung (garment during prayer) & Fardhu Ain Books (basic books on Islam & the practice).
Currently, there's also another benefit that all new converts will get which is basically an amount of RM1500. This is given by the Pusat Zakat of KL, and it really helps especially for those who have loss their jobs, and those that are in need.
I do have to state that my purpose of stating the earlier paragraph is not to lure more people into Islam in a wrong way. But to inform those, who have thought of being a muslim, to understand that the muslim community is here to help you when you feel that you will loose everything.
Those that are really in need of guidance in Islam, my family is willing to spend our weekends to guide those who are out there (especially those that have just convert or who planned to convert). Those that are interested may leave their comment along with their contact.